Outgoing travel to Macau is on the rise, as Chinese tourists continue to flood the city. This year, a travel bubble has been running between mainland China and Macau since September, as the government tries to capture a slice of the dragon’s share of China’s growing outbound travel demand. Government officials are offering ‘buy one get one free’ flights and generous spending discounts at travel fairs in mainland China.
Here are 10 tips for making the most of your trip to Macau:
1. Get a multi-day transit pass for unlimited rides on public transportation. This is especially handy if you’re planning to visit several attractions.
2. Download a map of the city onto your phone or tablet before you go. This will help you navigate your way around without needing data or an internet connection.
3. Go on a food tour! Macau is known for its unique and delicious cuisine, so this is a great way to sample some of the best dishes the city has to offer.
4. Head to one of Macau’s many casinos for an evening of gambling and entertainment. Just be sure to set a budget and stick to it!
5. Visit the Ruins of St. Paul’s, one of the most iconic landmarks in Macau. The views from atop the ruins are simply breathtaking.
6. Shop till you drop at one of Macau’s many malls and markets. From luxury brands to bargain finds, there’s something for everyone.
7. Take a day trip to one of the nearby islands, such as Coloane or Taipa. This is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city for a while.
8. Go on an organised tour of some of Macau’s most popular attractions, such as the A-Ma Temple or the Venetian Macao.
9. Spend an evening strolling along the waterfront at sunset. The views are simply stunning!
10. Make sure you try some of Macau’s famous egg tarts before you leave – they’re delicious!
For the time being, only mainland China and Hong Kong residents can travel to Macau. Incoming travel from other countries remains possible, but mainland residents must undergo a medical screening and observation at a designated venue. However, a change in restrictions is likely to happen soon.
If you are travelling to Macau, it is important to be aware of the potential safety risks and how to avoid them. There are a few simple steps you can take to make sure your trip is as safe and enjoyable as possible. First, be sure to research your destination before you go. This includes reading up on the local laws and customs, as well as checking for travel advisories. Second, make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance before you depart. This will help to cover any unexpected medical or other expenses that may occur while you are away. Finally, stay aware of your surroundings and be cautious when using ATMs or credit cards, as there have been reports of scams in these areas. By following these simple tips, you can help to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip to Macau.